Keep the Delaware State Senate Blue - Special Election February 25th
STATE LEGISLATIVE RACES — THE POLITICAL FIGHT OF OUR TIMES
I know many of you read this post Protecting our Rights by Defending our Constitution - State Legislative Races are Critical
In it, I detail the terrifying prospects of Republicans gaining one party control of 38 state legislative bodies and what that means. Simply put, if they get control of 38 state legislatures they can make any change to the constitution they like.
- Reproductive rights — gone
- Marriage equality — denied
- Voting rights — curtailed
- Trump made dictator — probably not, but they could do it, they would have the power to do it, and do we really want to risk that?
The list could go on, they could execute on their worst impulses and no one could stop them, and it would all be done according to the rules set forth by our constitution.
I know, if you have yet to read the post linked above, you are probably skeptical about this argument. If so, I urge you to go read it, it gives a detailed explanation of the threat and how it all works. A few people read it, and then informed me they decided to run in their red state district after doing so.
THE IMPORTANCE OF DELAWARE
The reason these state legislative races are so urgent is because Republicans have been driving toward hitting that 38 number for years now. For evidence read that linked post above. They have been pretty successful too.
Republicans are only 24 seats away from controlling all legislative bodies in 38 states, meaning they can ratify any change they propose to the constitution. Among the states that give Republicans the easiest path to control of 38 states. the great state of DELAWARE.
Delaware was the one state with both chambers currently controlled by Democrats, but with the narrowest margins, that Republicans need to flip. In the other 5 states they need to flip, Republicans already control one chamber.
If Democrats lose this Special Election on February 25, 2017, they lose control of the Delaware State Senate. The chamber stands at 10 seats democrat and 10 seats republican with 1 vacant seat. Whichever party wins this seat will control the chamber. If Republicans win this seat they will only need to flip 23 more state legislative seats and have one less chamber to flip. You can bet the Koch money and the conservative network is working this race hard.
It is vital we hold this seat.
HOW CAN YOU HELP
- Learn about the candidate Stephanie Hansen here.
- Like her facebook page and posts, leave positive comments on her posts. I know it seems hokey, but like activity, comments and so on raises her profile in her constituents feeds. So read, click on links like and comment things on her page FOUND HERE.
- Just found out she has a Facebook badge too.
- Get in touch with your friends in Delaware and make sure they are registered to vote
- Spread the word, this is so important, you never know if someone you know knows someone in this state senate district. Encourage others to donate and do the other things on this list.
- Reblog this post, like it, share it on social media, spread the word.
THE CHALLENGES WE FACE ARE DAUNTING
But we can rise to meet them. We must rise to meet them, no one else will do it. Let us all rally around this very important race now!
Support Stephanie Hansen’s Campaign for the Delaware State Senate!